food groups

Many people assume that they know which foods fall in which food groups. This is important to know if you’re on a diet, especially if you’re watching your calorie intake. Just to be clear, it’s never a good idea to cut calories too low, but consuming too many calories can result in weight gain. If you’re unsure how many calories you’re supposed to eat, consult a dietitian or nutritionist. As for the rest of us, here’s a gentle reminder in which food group the following foods fall:

 

Avocado

“Although avocados are technically a fruit, nutritionally they are considered to be a source of fat. Unlike other fruits, avocados are very high in fat. In fact, 77% of their calories come from fat. Avocados contain mostly monounsaturated fat, plus a small amount of saturated fat and polyunsaturated fat. Most of that monounsaturated fat is oleic acid, the same fatty acid found in olives and olive oil. This type of fat is considered to be very healthy. […]100 grams, or about half an avocado, contain around 160 calories.” – Taylor Jones, Healthline  

 

Pumpkin

“Acorn, butternut and pumpkin also fall into the starchy vegetable category. And, like potatoes, these veggies are rich in nutrients, including fibre, vitamin A and potassium. However, cubed acorn squash is the highest in both calories and carbs, with 115 calories, 30 grams of carbs and 9 grams of fibre per 1 cup cooked, followed by butternut with 80 calories, 22 grams of carbs and 7 grams of fibre in the same serving. Like rutabagas, if you’re trying to limit carbs, mashed pumpkin makes the better choice out of the starchy squashes, with 45 calories, 11 grams of carbs and 3 grams of fibre per cup.” – Jill Corleone, SFGate

 

Tomatoes

“Known scientifically as Solanum lycopersicum, the tomato is the berry of a plant from the nightshade family, native to South America. Despite technically being a fruit, the tomato is generally categorized as a vegetable. Tomatoes are the major dietary source of the antioxidant lycopene, which has been linked to many health benefits, including reduced risk of heart disease and cancer. They are also a great source of vitamin C, potassium, folate and vitamin K. […] The water content of tomatoes is around 95%. The other 5% consist mainly carbohydrates and fibre. One medium sized tomato (123 grams) contains only 22 calories.” – Adda Bjarnadottir, Healthline

Author

Somarié De Kock